7%-38%-55% Communications MythBy Robert P.
Top 10 Big Mistakes Of Big BusinessBy Francis T.
Climate Change Is Real! Act Now!By Kathrin G.
Improving The Quality Of Decision MakingBy Niladri R.
The Pitch - 20 Ways To Chat Up A New Client.By Sid P.
Top 10 Big Mistakes Of Big BusinessBy Francis T.
Best Practice Benchmarking - The Path To ExcellenceBy Robert C C.
What Is A Healthy Company?By Raymond H.
Challenges And Opportunities In The New EconomyBy Alkistis A.
Managing Bad Debt - Importance Of Good Collection SkillsBy GERARD A.
Also Interesting ...
Value Talk: Getting The Most Out Of Your SpeakerBy Albert E.
7%-38%-55% Communications MythBy Robert P.
Mergers, Acquisitions And PartnershipsBy Marie M.
Learn To Coach: How Could We Classify Motivation?By Matt S.
Off-Season Innovation!By Jeffrey G.
The War For Talent
US Recruiting, Retaining & Developing Talent Statistics & Best Practises
Recruiting Talent Statistics
1. 30% of US workforce will be of retirement age by year 2030 (Conference Board)
2. 1/5 of US large established companies will lose 40%+ of top level talent as their executives reach retirement age. (Developmental Dimensions International DDI, 'Winning the War for Talent' white paper by Authoria).
3. Shortfall of 10 million workers by 2010 in the age range of 25-44 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, "winning the war for talent" white paper by Authoria)
4. 77 million baby boomers (1946-1965)
5. By 2030 mature workers (55+) will make up 25% of the workforce (13% in 2000) (AARP)
6. 43% of companies cite skills shortage as top business concern (behind competitive pressure & growth) (Ken Blanchard Companies Survey).
7. 46% of companies had few or no applicants in May 2006 (National Federation of Independent Business Study).
8. Bad Hires & Promotions lead to lower morale (68%), lower productivity (66%), lost customers (54%), higher training costs (51%), higher recruiting costs (44%) (Right Management Survey 2006)
9. Cost of turnover is approximate 2 times employee salary (recruiting, training, severance costs).
10. 76% of baby boomers have no intention of a traditional retirement. 71% plan to work. (Survey for Merrill Lynch by Harris Interactive).
11. 25% of companies are ready for "mass exodus" of employees. 31% haven't thought much about it (Merrill Lynch survey).
Recruiting Best Practices
1. Recruiting must be an "all the time" thing.
2. Keep the pipeline full whether there are openings or not.
3. Dedicated recruiters (inside or outside the organization).
4. Managers trained to recruit, interview, check references, hire.
5. Succession Planning Process.
6. Identify best sources (internal referrals, networking groups, alumni associations).
Retaining Talent Statistics
1. Primary reasons employees stay at companies and are engaged include: 1) manager understands what motivates them 2) challenging work 3) career advancement 4) visibility, honesty & consistency of their manager 5) interest in employee (Towers Perrin Global Workforce Study, Executive Report 2005)
2. Compensation & benefits are often less of a reason why people leave. Typically due to management, work environment, direct supervisor (RHI employee data).
3. Employees that feel their manager does not respect them are 3 times more likely to leave their employer over the next 2 years than those who feel respected (Sirota Survey Intelligence)
4. 72% of people are satisfied with comp. 44% of those people would change their comp mix if they could. 33% of those individuals would increase their flextime. (Hudson's Compensations & Benefits Report 2006)
5. Among surveyed CIO's, in order to retain employees: 63% providing additional training opportunities, 47% are providing flexible schedules and 41% are increasing base compensations (Robert Half Technology survey of 1400 CIO's).
Retention Best Practices
1. All employee surveys & post departure surveys.
2. Comp & benefits are competitive
3. Management evaluation (360 degree surveys)
4. Leadership Development Programs
Developing Talent Statistics
1. Training budgets increased 5% over last year.
2. In the US, training is a 46.6 billion dollar industry (includes internal staff salaries). $15 billion is paid to external sources (vendors, etc).
3. 1/3 of organizations cite leadership training as 1st or 2nd training priority.
4. 32% of companies have enterprise wide performance management systems (Bersin & Associates Study 2006)
5. Project Management Software Industry growing at 45%--fastest growing HR application. $136M industry. (Bersin & Associates Study 2006)
6. 77% of companies do not have enough successors to their current senior-level managers working in their organizations (Right Management Consultants Survey)
7. 43% of companies cite skills shortage as top concern including developing potential leaders, selecting/retaining talent & creating an engaged workforce.
8. 77% of companies will increase talent management initiatives over the next 3 years---including performance management systems, succession planning and recruiting (Human Resource Information Management, Talent Management Survey 2006).
9. 39% of companies feel leadership development programs are on par with competitors; 35% need updating, 16% are ahead, 10% have no programs.
10. The average Top 100 Training Company has a training budget of $50 million, consisting of 28 full-time trainers and does 52 hours of training per employee per year (Training Magazine, March 2006).
Development Best Practices
1. Multi-faceted, comprehensive development programs (classroom, online, various media, off-site, new manager, coaching, mentoring, 360/self awareness, job rotations, projects, simulations, stretch assignments).
2. Performance/Talent Management Process in place (linked to development, systematic & objective).
3. Individual Development Plans (IDPs)' all inclusive
4. High Potential Employee Programs
5. CLO, Executive Director of Talent Management---involved & at the table with senior leadership
6. Executive Sponsorship
What's your opinion?
54 more Articles by Albert
3 min. Over the last two years of working with hundreds of clients from all walks of life, I have noticed trends of what my clients want and need. This top ten ...
7 min. In 15 seconds, a visitor to your site determines whether or not they are interested in your product or service. Web usability experts can provide all sorts ...
17 min. How leading-edge companies are streamlining applications development.
11 min. Reasons Why You Should Speak at and Attend Professional Seminars
8 min. Companies based in the GCC states are using their petrodollars to expand into global markets. But in the long run, these companies will have to develop distinctive capabilities and skills.
20 min. What is success, what is failure, and how can you improve your odds for success?
POP19 min. The art of leading deep corporate change can be learned. The trick is to help each member of the company discover a new reality...
13 min. The days, weeks, or months between taking the job and assuming power are precious. Put them to good use.
13 min. Everything that we do for our clients is based on the idea that improved communications will improve an organisation's performance and contribute to the ...
6 min. Once companies reach a certain size, setting realistic performance aspirations gets a bit trickier.
6 min. Plenty are the professionals who are on the "front lines" of the industry, knowledgeable of the countless changes, and who are willing and able to speak ...
14 min. Newspapers have tried a host of measures to halt the long-term decline in their readership, but they haven't stopped consumers from turning to TV and the ...
15 min. Operational risks are costly, but they can be conquered when high-ranking executives join the battle.
3 min. The aim of this guide is to prepare you for discussions with a bureau, and to get you thinking about all the factors that affect your Facilitator choice.
16 min. Services are more difficult to measure and monitor than manufacturing processes are but executives can rein in variance and boost productivity - if they implement rigorous metrics.
13 min. Employees' personal connections can be as valuable as their individual knowledge base. Social network analysis, or SNA, helps maximize a company's collective smarts.
4 min. "Size is no guarantee of future success." What is strategically important is strength not size. Speed is more important than physical mass and flexibility ...
POP4 min. Recently, I came across a code of ethics for hackers (yes, it really does exist) that I'd like to share with you, because I think it really hits home with ...
9 min. The global talent war has seen organisational leaders scratching their heads to understand how they can attract and retain the very best talent that is ...
8 min. Organic search engine optimization has some distinct advantages over pay-per-click advertising. However, there are undoubtedly certain situations and scenarios ...
5 min. Improving the customer-centricity of your organization isn't just good business, it's also good marketing.
5 min. Should work be fun? Must it be fun? Today, the answer to these questions is mostly yes. What else should it be? Yet however plausible this answer might ...
13 min. Talent can be bought, but the best companies develop their own.
4 min. How do you know if the speaker fits? How do you avoid embarrassing mismatches?
17 min. An organization is much more likely to improve its current performance and underlying health by using a combination of complementary practices rather than ...
POP10 min. To get beyond survival and to grow both profits and margins, the successful companies of the future will be forced to become true customer experts.
9 min. The success of strategic investments depends largely on the subsequent moves of competitors. Uncertainty about competitive conduct can lead executives ...
15 min. Five easy-to-use tools help negotiators in complex deals arrive at a negotiating position that is not only acceptable to them but also palatable to other ...
7 min. Sometimes we can all use a friendly reminder to keep us from backsliding into old ways of thinking about selling that lead us down the wrong path with potential clients.
31 min. There appears to be plenty of room for much greater effort and involvement by companies and organizations around the world. Here a few thoughts and pointers.
POP11 min. Somewhere in Corporate America, a human resources manager is tweaking her company's employee-incentive program. Maybe she's dumping last year's customized ...
8 min. Gen X-ers want far more collaboration with companies - both as customers and as employees. CIOs are uniquely positioned to help their enterprises meet ...
9 min. Complexity has been one of the most frequently used words for some years now. People talk about complex systems, complex interrelationships, complex problems ...
6 min. Valuable insights on using your speaker to maximise the success of your event
POP18 min. Looking for inspired leadership, passionate employees, unsurpassed productivity, and grateful customers? Forget the dispirited corridors of corporate ...
16 min. For GCC states, liberalizing the labor market and developing the local workforce are the keys to moving beyond a reliance on foreign workers.
15 min. The CEO helps a transformation succeed by communicating its significance, modeling the desired changes, building a strong top team, and getting personally involved.
28 min. Surprisingly, many organizations lack a proper succession plan. One reason is that they do not have an effective succession planning process. This author ...
11 min. Lean Thinking is a highly evolved method of managing an organization to improve the productivity, efficiency and quality of its products or services. The ...
POP19 min. Eight emerging trends are transforming many markets and businesses. Executives should learn to shape the outcome rather than just react to it.
13 min. Of all the findings on business strategy yielded by the study of the businesses in the PIMS? database, the following is one of the most controversial: ...
6 min. Trying to perfect a flawless presentation can result in disaster...
12 min. Companies that rely on IT governance systems alone will come up short.
11 min. Growth is necessary, but size is no guarantee of a successful future! Nevertheless, growth is needed. Without growth there is no life. In a certain sense, ...
15 min. By building social issues into strategy, big companies can recast the debate about their role in society.
8 min. Foresee the future, that's what your customers expect, that's what you need to deliver.
4 min. Few companies have the skills to effectively manage procurement across all spending categories. Smart enterprises should examine their procure-ment strategies ...
21 min. Are you on board with enterprise risk management? You had better be. It's the future of how businesses will be run.
15 min. Further reform will be essential if one of the world?s fastest-growing regions is to seize a broader role in the global economy
POP6 min. Two of today's buzzwords are Team and Teamwork. Those with a particular desire to conform to the spirit of the age portray them as the polar opposite of ...
4 min. The proliferation of brands and channels is forcing companies to restructure their marketing efforts significantly.
12 min. Value created by knowledge is often not captured. Five accounts of knowledge strategies.