It is said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If you don't plan to do things differently, no amount of goal setting will help you achieve what you haven't been achieving up to now. Something has to change...
For many people, setting goals means adding things to already busy lives. If a cup is already full to the brim, there is no room to add more water. If you want to freshen up the water, some needs to be emptied out first. So it is with your life. Consider emptying out some of the stale things from your life before you make your plans and goals. This involves doing some self-reflection and making choices, some of which may be difficult.
You don't need to have it all; you only need what fits with who you are and who you want to become. The rest is superfluous and holds you back. To paraphrase Cheryl Richarson, when you get rid of things that are holding you back and getting in your way, your path becomes much clearer, straighter and easier.
How do you do decide what belongs and what to let go of? Here are some questions you can ask yourself to see what you need to purge from your busy-ness to make room for what you really want to create in your life:
* Are there activities in my life that I do because I think I "should" do them, rather than because I enjoy them? (Anytime you hear yourself using the word "should" this is a red flag. Often, a "should" is something that is an energy drain, or an obligation rather than a willing choice)
* Is there something I am involved in that has become a burden or lost its appeal for me?
* Are there people or activities in my life that sap my energy or who are negative influences?
* Am I spending time doing things that are not creating the life I want to have?
* Review your planner. Are you spending time doing things that are not in alignment with your goals and values?
* Do you feel like you're in a rut? (If you're in a rut, stop digging!)
* With whom do your spend your free time?
* Is there something that if you didn't have to do, would give you a feeling of huge relief?
* Do you feel fulfilled? Is something missing?
You may have other questions to ask that are relevant for you. What is important, is to take the time to reflect on where you are and where you want to be. If where you are and where you want to be are one and the same, congratulations! If they are not the same, how do you plan to get to where you want to be? What is holding you back that you can leave behind? What can you let go of to make room for your life?
Then give yourself permission to let go! Let go of the chaos. Let go of the energy drains in your life. Let go of trying to be everything to everybody ...... and make room to create the life you want to live that's in alignment with your goals and values. Give yourself permission to be who you long to be.
Did this Article help you? Share it on Social Media?
Sign Up Free once for a free Expertbase User Account - and never fill up a form again.